Local Utility Emergency Contact Information

Utility Emergency Gas Leak Emergency Electric Outage Website to Report Outage
(tip: have your Utility account number available)
Con Edison 1-800-75-CONED
Click here
Central Hudson 1-800-942-8274 (only for gas leaks) 1-845-452-2700
if outside 845
area code: 1-800-527-2714
Click here
National Grid 1-718-643-4050 1-800-867-5222 Click here
NYSEG 1-800-572-1121 1-800-572-1131 Click here
Orange & Rockland 1-800-533-LEAK (5325) 1-877-434-4100 Click here

Gas Leak Safety

It’s important to be knowledgeable about the signs of a gas leak and how to respond to a natural gas emergency.

Signs of a Natural Gas Leak:

  • What can you Smell?
    • Natural gas has an odorant added which is a distinctive, strong odor similar to rotten eggs.
  • What can you See?
    • A white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water, blowing dust or vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no reason.
  • What can you Hear?
    • Roaring, hissing or whistling sound.

What to do if you suspect a Natural Gas leak:

Act Fast. Stop what you are doing don’t use anything that could generate a spark, such as a light switch, telephone, cell phone, flash light or car ignition. Do not light or use a match. Don’t turn on any other appliance or electric/electronic device and do not flush or run water

Leave. Get everyone out of the house at once, leaving the doors and windows open.

Contact. When at a safe distance, call 911 or your local Utility Provider listed above: 

Electricity Outage Safety

Before contacting your local Utility to report an outage, check the following:

  • Do your neighbors have power?
  • Are the streetlights lit?
  • Are your breakers tripped or fuses blown?
  • Do you have no lights in only one room?

If you answered yes to any of the above, the problem may be with your equipment/fuses.  Note: some Utilities may charge a fee if they respond and find it is due to your equipment.

If you see Fallen Wires or other Electrical Hazards, keep a safe distance (at least 30 feet away) and call 911 to make a report.  Emergency responders will be notified and your local Utility dispatched to make repairs.